Sunday, January 26, 2014

Valentine's Day home decor - hanger with cork hearts


Back to my basic material hoard. Now let's do something with those wine corks.




First the corks from the sparkling wine. They are shaped differently than wine corks so I opted for gluing them on the carton paper first, just to make sure they hold together. Hot glue is my helper again.


 I drew the lines of heart just to know approximately how the glue them together. I also glue the cork pieces separately to each other. I cut the heart out when dry.


The other hearts I make from the wine corks. The first one I picked the corks naturally colored red from the red wine to reach red heart. I glue each piece I add to the other pieces using hot glue. Putting the new corks to create the shape of heart.



The other heart I picked mixed naturally colored corks. I like the color diversity on this one. I also made it smaller and wider.


I was not happy with Martini marks on the sparkling wine cork heart so I decided to paint it red with acrylic paint. I also wanted the pop of color between other hearts.


After I covered it with the layer of varnish to get that shine.


I got the hanger ready. Since the hearts and other fabrics I'm about to use, are colorful enough I kept the "hanger" bar simple as it gets, just to get that rustic feel. I hammered 3 nails in it ready for the hearts.


I glued folded white gauze (always folded to get the volume) around natural red heart...


...the red linen ribbon around the mixed colors heart.... (got it on amazing sale after the holidays)


...and natural linen fabric around the red painted heart. I always make the stripe longer and leave couple inches loose in the middle of the heart, where I start and end gluing.



At the end I tie the dark red ribbon to natural hearts and natural twine to the colored heart to contrast each heart.

I wrap the remaining fabric on the top of each heart around the ribbon/twine. The hearts are ready to be hung anywhere it works for you. 


I decided to hang them on the natural wooden hanger bar with the nails I got ready earlier. If you don't want to have new nail in the wall just for couple weeks of this decoration being displayed, you can use my favorite Command stripes, that you can easily remove from the wall when the Valentine's over.




Or you can make the whole hanger hang on piece of twine :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment